Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Baked Breakfast Frittata

I posted this recipe from Janis in 2016 - I don't know why I've never made this myself until last week for the bachelorette weekend! And now that I know how easy it is to make it will finally definitely be in rotation. I didn't realize until starting to make it that the original recipe isn't very exact - so I questioned how I know if it's 24 or 30 eggs, and also that amount seems like a ton of eggs to only feed 10-12; she verified that she doesn't use that many, and that there are so many ingredients it really doesn't matter - it's very forgiving. So I'll post the original recipe, and then my notes below - read thru to the end before making this for yourself.

By the way - this was a big hit for our brunch! I baked 2 casseroles ahead of time and froze them, thawed ahead of time and reheated in the oven for about 30 minutes. I sliced it and kept warm in a chafing dish, it holds up really well and even tastes good at room temperature. We had no leftovers if that tells you how good it is hahaha. 



Oh geez, I just realize I didn’t take a picture after it baked! 🤦‍♀️

Serves 10-12

2 large potatoes (baked or microwaved until firm and not overcooked)
1 large tomato
1 large red bell pepper
1 large bunch cilantro
1 bunch basil
2 bunches green onion
3 different cheeses (Havarti will dill, a smoked cheese, cheddar or any other cheese)
White pepper to taste
24-30 eggs
2 cups milk
Parmesan cheese


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a large lasagna pan or similar dish.  Dice cooked potatoes and leave some skin if desired.  Dice tomato, bell pepper, cilantro basil and green onions.  Shred cheeses.  Layer all ingredients in pan.  Beat eggs and milk and pour over ingredients.  Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.  If not done, cover with foil and cook until egg is firm.

Most ingredients can be substituted.

Jill's notes: I made a couple changes to the above recipe - you really can change the ingredients to what you like! Here's what I did:

  • 1 bag diced potatoes (I used 'simply potatoes' 20 oz bag in the refrigerator section of store)
  • handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 orange bell pepper
  • big handful of chopped spinach (remove thick stems)
  • chopped cilantro leaves (I didn't measure, just a handful)
  • chopped basil leaves (same as above)
  • 2 bunches chopped green onion (white and light green parts)
  • 1/2 cup shredded havarti cheese with dill
  • 1/2 cup shredded colby jack
  • 1 cup shredded cheese blend (mozzarella and provolone mix)
  • 12 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment