Thursday, December 15, 2016

Sugar and Spice Mixed Nuts

We were going to a Holiday party Saturday night and I realized that afternoon that I didn't have a hostess gift - it was too late to go shopping so I whipped up these sugar and spice nuts from ingredients in the pantry, made a quickie label and put them in a cute Christmas jar I found in my wrapping stuff. Great idea if you have any last minute gift needs (or just want them for yourself, they're slightly addictive I gotta say...).



Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon water
  • 1 egg white, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus additional for sprinkling 
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/8 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 cup pecans (I used raw nuts for this recipe)
  • 1 cup whole almonds
  • 1 cup walnuts
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 250'.
In a large bowl mix together the egg white, sugar, spices.
Add the nuts and stir until coated.
Spread evenly onto a greased cookie sheet or baking pan.
Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
Spread out on parchment paper and sprinkle while still hot with additional coarse salt.


I also did a few leftover pumpkin seeds to see how they'd turn out and they are yummy too - good to know (and Dave can eat them so he's happy...the house smells really good when the nuts are baking so he's always jealous he can't try them!). 

2 comments:

  1. They look mighty good! One time I made cupcakes for work while working at JNL. I did not know Dave was allergic to nuts. So the frosting was chocolate peanut butter. He took a bite and realized it had PB in the frosting. I felt so bad. From than on, I baked nothing with peanuts. Wow that was a dug up memory for the early 80's. We where working in the Union Bank Tower. Ask Dave he will remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll ask him Lisa! I bet he'll remember...I don't think he is as careful as he should be, he doesn't ask a lot of the time before trying something!

      Delete