Saturday, April 13, 2019

Herb-Crusted Lamb with Roast Potatoes

Let me start by saying I'm not a big lamb lover. Wait, I love lambs - but you know what I mean...the flavor isn't my favorite. Having said that, this lamb roast is delicious and I've never had anyone not like it. Easter is coming up quickly and if you haven't decided on the menu yet consider making this easy, flavorful traditional springtime roast  - you won't be disappointed!

(I feel like ham is our traditional dish at Easter, but Dave loves lamb and says his mom always made it for Easter and he feels that it's the most traditional - what do you think?)



The original recipe came from The New Basics Cookbook, over the years I've changed it a bit. I'm going to give you the original recipe and tell you what I do differently in notes after the recipe.

Ingredients:

  • 1 leg of lamb (7 to 8 pounds)
  • 2 large cloves garlic, sliced
  • 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided (that means you don't add it all at once)
  • 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
  • 2 tablespoons dried rosemary leaves
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 30 small red new potatoes, quartered
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  • rosemary sprigs for garnish, optional
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425'.
  2. Cut slits all over the lamb with the tip of a sharp knife, and insert the garlic slivers in the slits.
  3. Brush the lamb all over with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
  4. Combine the 2 T. thyme, dried rosemary, 2 T. pepper, and coriander in a small bowl and mix well. Pat the herb mixture all over the lamb to form a crust. Place the lamb in a shallow roasting pan.
  5. Place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining 3 T. olive oil, fresh rosemary, the remaining 2 teaspoons thyme and 1 teaspoon pepper, and the coarse salt. Toss to mix well, and arrange around the lamb in the pan.
  6. Place the pan on the center rack in the oven, and roast for 45 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 375', stir the potatoes slightly so they don't stick to the pan, cook an additional 30 minutes.
  7. Remove the pan from the oven, and insert an instant-read meat thermometer in the thickest part of the meat. It should read 120' minimum for rare, let the lamb rest loosely covered for 15 minutes before carving. (The meat will continue to cook a bit more while resting, the temp will rise to 135' to 140'). Place the roast on a serving platter, surrounded with the potatoes. Garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs.
makes 8 servings

My Notes: 
  • I get a boneless or semi-boneless leg of lamb. They are usually between 4 and 5 pounds. You might need to adjust the cooking time depending how you want it done - for rare lamb allow 12 minutes per pound, for well-done lamb allow 18 minutes per pound. I still follow the time table in the recipe above, but if it's too rare after 30 minutes I pop it back in the oven until it reaches the temp I want. Rare seems to be the "usual" preferred temp. but others like it more on the medium-well done side (me included) but the longer you roast it the greater the chance of it getting tough. It's usually just right after the 30 minutes and 15 resting, rarer in the center and more well done on the ends. 
  • I don't put garlic in slits on the lamb. 
  • In the herb mix I add garlic powder, and dried oregano.
  • Put the lamb in the pan with the fat side down. The potatoes cook in the fat and they are SO good, don't cook them separately. 
  • I often use baby red potatoes, leave whole or cut in half if they are on the bigger side. This last time I made 3 pounds for 8 people and there wasn't a single potato left over. I'll make more next time!  

No comments:

Post a Comment