Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Coconut Cream Filled Cupcakes

We had a joint birthday dinner for Dave and Ray and they both like different kinds of cake - so I had the thought to split one batch of cupcakes in half and do something different for each guy. I used a boxed white cake mix but replaced the water and oil with milk and melted butter, and added an additional egg - then I filled 12 lined cupcake tins with the batter for Ray's half and baked as directed. To the remaining batter I added a big handful of shredded coconut and a 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract (I would have used more but that's all that was left in the bottle! After they baked I ran to the store for more so I could add to the frosting) then filled 12 lined cupcake tins and baked those as directed. Note: I usually bake them for less time than the box suggests, I pulled these out at 15 minutes and they were perfect.


After they cooled I frosted Ray's with fluffy chocolate buttercream frosting and sprinkles. Dave's were a little more complicated but not difficult. I removed a little cake from the cupcakes creating a hole, then squeezed in the filling (see below). Smooth the tops, spread with frosting, then pat coconut all over the tops covering completely. I actually got a "best ever" thumbs up from Dave and everyone else at the table (except the ones that don't like coconut, they don't count haha).

The waitress looked at both containers of cupcakes and asked where I bought them - awwwww, that was nice - I was holding the chocolate ones and asked if she'd like one, she said "are the other ones coconut? Because coconut is my favorite" hahaha, so we gave her one of each :). Cute.

Coconut Cream Filled Cupcakes Directions:

-Add shredded coconut and extract to the batter before baking.
-Make filling: mix together 1 box of coconut cream pudding and 3/4 cup whole milk, whisk for a couple minutes and refrigerate until set.
-Whip a small container of whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Add half to the pudding.
-Put the filling in a quart sized baggie and snip one corner.
-Remove some cake from the top of each cupcake, squeeze filling into each hole. Smooth the top.
-Frost with buttercream frosting and then cover the tops with shredded coconut. Refrigerate.

Coconut Buttercream Frosting:
-1 stick soft unsalted butter
-4 cups confectioners sugar
-1 teaspoon coconut extract
-pinch of coarse salt
-milk (a couple tablespoons, add a little at
a time until you get the right consistency)

cream the butter until smooth, add the
remaining ingredients and beat until smooth
and fluffy. For this cake I added a big scoop
of cool whip, gently folding to combine
with the frosting. 

note: to make chocolate buttercream frosting replace the coconut extract with vanilla and add 2/3 cup cocoa powder




No comments:

Post a Comment