Monday, May 6, 2019

Tiny Macrame Plant Hangers




I made a few of these tiny macrame plant hangers for gifts, they come together super fast and are very easy to make. It's just tying a few knots, not much skill needed!


Cut 8 pieces of jute, twine, cord, or yarn twice as long as you want the hanger - I cut mine about 26" long. Put all 8 strands thru a keyring (or whatever you want to hang the planter), place the keyring at the halfway point and tie it in place. I did a wrapped knot (click for directions) under the keyring, you can also just do a regular knot. You now have 16 strings to work with. Sort the strings into 8 groups.


I find it helps to attach the keyring to my craft mat so it doesn't move around while I'm tying the knots. Holding one group of 2 strands, make a knot about 6" down from the keyring, repeat with the other groups of 2 making the the knots the same distance from the top. Here's a little tip that makes that easier - make a loose knot approximately where you want it, put a thick needle or a skewer in the knot and place the point of the needle on a ruler before pulling the knot tight. The needle helps guide the knot to the exact place you want it.


Once you've made the first row of knots take one strand from 2 groups that are next to each other and tie them together using the same technique about an inch below the first row - can you see from the next picture what I mean? It's basic macrame, if you can't figure out what I'm saying just google for better directions! Continue until you have a second row of 8 knots. Repeat for a third row.


You now have a circle of strands that are somewhat like mesh. Insert the planter into the center of the knotted mesh before tying off the bottom - where you tie the bottom knot that holds the planter in place will vary depending on the size of the planter. I made a small one for this pretty little china cup, for 1.5 inch and 3 inch terra-cotta pots.







Trim the hanging strands under the planter however long you like. I did some a couple inches long, and left others very long.


To finish,  I glued fun little trims on my pots and filled some with artificial succulents and some with real.


5.6.18: polenta with spinach and beans
5.6.17: Mickey and Kyle's cute zucchini planter

Happy moment ~ working outside and see these cute lovie-dovies watching my every move



No comments:

Post a Comment