Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Decorated Switch/Outlet Covers

Here's a little crafty idea that is quick and easy - I just put these up in my laundry room and I think it makes the room cuter and more interesting. Some people (ahem, my sister) might wonder why I think this is cute (and also might suggest that I have too much time on my hands)... but I think - why not? We'll leave it at that...



Take the switch plate or outlet cover off of the wall. Cut a piece of paper (scrapbooking, wrapping - whatever you want) about an inch bigger than the cover, I made mine 4 1/2" x 6". Lay the cover on the wrong side of the paper and mark where the switch or outlets are, then cut a slit in the paper for the openings - leaving an edge all around to fold back so you don't see a raw paper edge when finished. See the outlet cover picture for an example of what I mean, I only folded one to show you.  Lay the cover on the paper lining up the openings, fold all 4 sides in around the cover (I turn in the corners to make the edges a little neater), then use double stick tape to stick the paper to the cover - it's helpful to stick down the little edges that go around the openings so when you put it back on the wall they stay flat.

You can easily remove the paper and tape if you want to change to a different paper, or (gasp!) return them to their natural state of plain old beige.

1 comment: