Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Black and Orange Cookies



Saw these in a Food Network magazine and thought I'd give them a try - I think I need to start a new category of "failed" recipes and projects! I will say that they taste really good, big fluffy almost cakey cookies - I will keep the recipe (click there for the magazine recipe) for that part. The problem is that the icing was too time consuming, tedious, and not very pretty to want to make them again. I changed technique after icing a dozen, gave up the 2 tone black and orange and just went with one color and sprinkles! Sprinkles fix everything...


The batter is not firm, I had doubts that they would end up as round cookies but they did...
One interesting thing is that you ice the bottom/flat side of the cookies, I've never done that before. This icing is very runny so if you put it on the domed/top part of the cookie it would run right off.



I might be a bit of a perfectionist it's true - I don't like that I couldn't get an even line down the center between the black and orange...I tried different ways of applying the icing - doing a few black and then going back to add the orange (not good, if the first color sets up too much it then cracks when you pick them up to apply the second), doing at the same time (not good, the colors run into each other and get blurry)...never found the answer.


I will say again though that they taste really good, Dave and some friends couldn't have cared less that the line between the colors wasn't "perfect"! I'm taking the sprinkle ones to my niece's soccer team practice and I'm betting they won't mind them either :)










No comments:

Post a Comment