Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Sarge and his Halloween Scarf

I saw a reversible rectangle scarf with a pin closure in a store the other day and at first thought it was meant for a dog -  the storeowner informed me no, it's for a person...oops. Well that got me thinking that Sarge "needs" a reversible Halloween scarf!
I found Halloween fabrics that I thought would look nice on him, bought 1/2 yard each and have lots left over. I bought diaper pins for the closure, the scarf in the store had a kilt pin but I didn't want to chance it opening up on Sarge and poking him - the diaper pins have a safety catch.


Cut out 2 rectangles 27"x6"  from 2 different Halloween fabrics, pin right sides together and sew - leaving a 2" opening in one end. 

Of course what should have been a very simple quick sew job turned into the bobbin messing up and my having to rip some of the seam out...if this happens to you don't get frustrated! I'm pretty sure sewing machines have temperaments and if it senses you are upset it will only mess up more!! ;)

Once sewn, pull the right sides thru the opening to invert the scarf to the correct side out - I put a knitting needle or something pointy into the corners to get them nice and crisp - then either hand sew or topstitch the 2" opening closed (I topstitched very close to the edge). Iron out the wrinkles and pin it on crossing the ends over each other.
he's comfortable enough in his new scarf to take a
nap in it - that's a good sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment