Monday, September 10, 2018

My First Arm Knit Afghan

I watched a few videos (click here for one example), read a bunch of instructions (like these) and looked at diagrams (another example here) all online - there are lots to pick from! I started this blanket, and then ripped it back out,  a few different times before figuring out the technique, once I got it tho this was quite easy to do.

My only beef with most of the directions is they say it's going to take about 45 minutes to make a blanket... and pretty much once you start you can't stop because your arms are the knitting needles so there's no "putting it down for later"... I waited until after lunch and 2 iced teas (important to the story line haha) when I knew there was an open window to start it, figuring I'd have it done in an hour. Somewhere around the 3 hour mark and I wasn't done yet but needed to use the bathroom (thanks to the iced tea!) I had a bit of a dilemma - 45 minutes my a&$ LOL!! I waited until all of the loops were on my left arm so my right arm was free and wrapped the long blanket around my neck like a scarf in order to do my business hahahahaha. My advice is to start this after you've eaten, don't drink a lot, use the bathroom first,  and don't need to do anything with your arms for about 3 hours!


I think this turned out really good for my first blanket, I'm definitely going to make more because c'mon - a knitted blanket in 3 hours is sweet (perfect for gift giving!), and it's just about the softest, fluffiest, cosiest blanket ever. I wanted to curl up and just stroke the softness (my dog hates to be pet so I could use this blanket as a replacement for something to pet haha) but I made it for a gift and had to let it go. Sigh.

Brooke picked out this pretty chunky pink yarn at Walmart - I used 6 skeins and the finished blanket is 3' x 27' (yep you read that right - it's 1 yard wide by 9 yards long, it's big!). Because my arms were the needles it has big loopy holes for the stitches - it looks so much like a big net that Dave asked if I was going to catch fish with it; once folded at the foot of the bed tho I love the texture and how it looks.




one year ago: salad in baked meat cups
two years ago: pineapple upside-down cake cocktails!

No comments:

Post a Comment