Saturday, November 10, 2018

Fried Green Tomatoes

I have never had fried green tomatoes, let alone made fried green tomatoes - quite frankly I wasn't really interested in trying them 'cuz (a) I try to not eat fried foods, (b) we live in Michigan and it's not really a thing, and (3) I've never had an abundance of big green tomatoes that I was trying to use up before! Well, as you've seen this past week (green tomato soup, muffins, jam) I had lots to spare and thought I'd give frying them a try. Know what? They are SO SO good, I'm a believer now and this will be a repeat for sure. Yes they are fried and I don't do that often, but these are not greasy at all and it still seemed like I was eating a vegetable - I love fried green beans but really, they don't taste like beans, they taste like fried batter! These aren't like that, promise. If you see green tomatoes at the grocery store or farmers market you really really want to buy a couple and make this recipe - you won't regret it!


I read a bunch of recipes before it occurred to me that my mom lives in the south and is a great cook, so I bet she knows how to make them (side thought: why is this a southern thing? why don't we eat them in the north? not like we don't get - obviously - green tomatoes here!) -  why wasn't I just asking her instead of googling random recipes? Sure enough, she gave me lots of tips that I hadn't read about, and the proof is in the pudding (or in the tomatoes) that she knew what she was talking about :) Thanks mom!

A big key is that you want the tomatoes dry...really dry...so they don't fry up mushy. Slice the tomatoes into about 1/4" round slices (slice sideways thru the tomato, not top down - that's obvious, right?) and lay them out on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt to draw out some of the juices and let them set 30 minutes (you can go longer if you have time).  Blot really, really well so they are as dry as you can get them. Set up 3 plates (I use old pie tins) for your dipping assembly line;  in the first one put 1/2 cup flour seasoned with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper; second one whisk an egg or two with a little milk; third one mix together 1/2 cup cornmeal with a couple tablespoons of flour, season with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes.



When you are ready to fry them - note: you want to make these right before eating them, they aren't going to hold very good - put oil (I used canola) in a large frypan, I did about 1/2" deep, and heat over medium-high. Once the oil is hot but not smoking, dredge each slice into the flour, shake lightly to remove the excess flour, then the egg mixture, then lastly in the cornmeal. For each step make sure you are coating both sides and the edges. Carefully place a few slices in the hot oil - don't crowd the slices in the pan - and fry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown, flip and cook for another couple minutes until the other side is golden brown. Don't leave them in the oil longer than necessary, soggy mushy slices are not going to taste as good! Remove from the pan with a slotted spatula, transfer to dry paper towels to blot the oil a bit, repeat with remaining slices.



Mom likes these with bacon jam (click here for a recipe) but I didn't have that so made a quick sauce out of mayo, ketchup, lemon juice, and pepper.

I'm telling ya' - these are fantastic!!! Light, flaky crust and the tomatoes are still firm and flavorful - oh man, I wish I had more green tomatoes so I could make this again right now!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment