Thursday, November 8, 2018

Green Tomato Muffins

Yep, you read that title right - green tomato muffins! I used my zucchini bread recipe (which is slightly different but really similar to the zucchini cake/bread recipe I posted here) and substituted 2 cups of chopped green tomatoes for the zucchini and guess what - these look and taste almost exactly like zucchini muffins. Seriously I bet if you didn't know it's green tomato you'd say it's zucchini. Soooo, why not just make zucchini you ask? Fair question - but if you've been following my green tomato posts this week then you'll know why...'cuz I've got about 10 pounds of green tomatoes to find ways to use up!

If you don't have my green tomato problem of course go ahead and use zucchini and they'll be just as delicious. The cinnamon and nutmeg give lots of flavor, and they're fluffy and moist - note I usually leave out the nuts so Dave can eat them, and I'm not a big raisin lover so I tend to omit those too...and the muffins are still great.

Abundance of green tomatoes? Give this a try and let me know what you think!

Zucchini (or Green Tomato) Bread

Ingredients

3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups grated zucchini (or chopped green tomatoes - I pulsed them in my food processor)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
1 cup raisins (optional)
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:
Preheat oven 325'. Grease and flour 2 bread loaf pans (or spray with non-stick baking spray).
Beat eggs, mix in oil and sugar until smooth. Add zucchini (or green tomatoes) and vanilla until incorporated.
In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients. Stir into egg mixture until just combined.

Bake 60-65 minutes until lightly brown on top and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few crumbs.

note: for muffins I used paper liners and lightly sprayed them with non-stick baking spray. This recipe made 32 muffins and took about 20 minutes to bake.



No comments:

Post a Comment