Monday, November 30, 2020

Penne Alla Vodka

I love cookbooks and it's very hard for me to not collect them - I finally ran out of room in the cabinet and had to pare down (just enough so what I kept fits easily in the space allotted to them!). One that I kept, no questions asked, is actually the first cookbook I got as an adult (I say as an adult because chances are I even had cookbooks as a kid but they didn't transition to 'real-life' with me), it's the 'Glamour's Gourmet on the Run: a Busy Woman's Guide to 30-minutes meals and effortless entertaining'. Yes it's a long title haha but pretty much every recipe I've made from this book is good.

I know you don't care about my old 80's cookbook story LOL but I told you anyway. 

I posted the Ina Garten recipe for a different tomato/vodka sauce that Al made us a while back (which is really good, click here for that recipe) and now I'm sharing the one that I've been making forever - well, since 1987 anyway - it's beyond simple to make and much quicker than Ina's version. It has ham and peas in it - which may or may not be traditional in penne alla vodka, I have no idea, but either way this is really good and one of our favorites.

PENNE ALLA VODKA ~
  • 1 (16 oz) pkg. penne, cooked according to label directions
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 4 T. butter
  • 1 (16 oz) can tomatoes, drained
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 2/3 cup vodka
  • 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
  • 1/4 lb. ham, diced
  • 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • grated parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to label directions. In the meantime, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce. Add vodka; cook 5 minutes. Blend in cream; heat to boiling. Add remaining ingredients except cheese and heat through. Toss with hot drained pasta. Serve with grated parmesan cheese. Makes 6 servings. 

sorry I don't have a picture - I was going to copy someone else's photo hahaha but just use your imagination and picture penne coated in a creamy pinkish tomato sauce with ham and peas and you'll have an idea what it looks like! Next time I make this I'll remember a photo and update later...oh, and for all you non-pea and/or ham lovers - you can totally leave them out. 

1 comment: