Saturday, November 21, 2020

Maple-Dijon Chicken Thighs

This recipe came in an email from Parents.com - I'm not a parent (unless you count the dog and parrot) and have no idea how I got on a parents email list but the bigger question I have is what kid is going to eat this? Haha, I might not have a kid but I'm pretty sure my niece wouldn't touch this - however, I made it for Dave and I and we loved it. So kid-friendly or not, it's a delicious simple meal that tastes great! Here's the recipe as written, with my changes noted after.


  • 8 (6 oz) bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (4 lbs. total)
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. pepper
  • 3 cups butternut squash, cut into 1" cubes
  • 8 oz. fresh green beans, trimmed
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1 t. flour
  • 1 t. water
  1. Preheat oven to 400'. Coat a large (5 to 7 quart) dutch oven or other heavy pot with nonstick spray. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Arrange half of chicken, skin side down, in pot. Brown over medium-high heat until skin is golden and crisp, 5 minutes.  Transfer chicken to a large plate. Brown remaining chicken.
  2. Remove pot from heat; coat squash and green beans in drippings. Return chicken, skin side up, and nestle into veggies.
  3. Combine maple syrup and mustard in a small bowl; pour over chicken mixture. 
  4. Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of chicken registers 165', 30 to 35 minutes. Divide chicken and vegetables among four plates, reserving sauce in dutch oven.
  5. combine flour and water in a bowl. Heat sauce on medium, and bring to a simmer. Add flour mixture, whisking constantly, until sauce thickens, 2 minutes. Spoon over chicken and veggies. 
note: to create delicious, crackling chicken skin, cook the thighs in a pot that hasn't been preheated.

per serving: 382 calories; 9g fat; 30g carb

original recipe found here

My changes: 
  • I bought boneless skinless thighs, so we didn't have the 'delicious, crackling skin'; to add a little fat and moisture I drizzled a bit of olive oil over the squash and beans in step #2, and scraped the bottom of the pan to incorporate any little bits after searing the chicken. Toss the veggies in the pan for a couple minutes to get a little color on them, then proceed with step #3. 
  • I added a little wondra flour to the syrup mustard mixture and poured it over top of the chicken in step #3, and skipped step #5. We thought the sauce seemed thick enough without that added step. 
  • I'd think that boneless thighs should take less time to cook but I needed 35 minutes for the squash to be tender, the chicken was still very moist so I'm not sure how much less time boneless needs. If your squash is done in less than 35 minutes make sure to check that the chicken is done. 







    1 comment: