Thursday, January 7, 2016

Fruitcake Squares

I know, I know - fruitcake? I saw this recipe and it made me wonder if I've ever actually tried fruitcake or if I just assume I won't like it - cuz really...fruitcake? Well whether or not you like fruitcake you might want to give this recipe a try - they are really good!




You bake a crumbly buttery shortbread first layer, then top with a fruit and nut mixture and bake again. The recipe makes a 13x9 pan but I had my concerns that if I didn't like it what was I going to do with that much, so I cut the recipe in half and made it in an 8x8 pan - I wish I would have made the full recipe though, it went fast.
Note: the recipe calls for "icing sugar" in the crust, I assumed that is powdered sugar and it worked, so go with that.








I used a jar of maraschino cherries (only red, the magazine picture has green and yellow mixed in - only using red tasted good and is still pretty) that I drained and roughly chopped.

I packaged them up in little baggies and took them to the ladies in my tap class - no one had heard of fruitcake like this before and seemed to enjoy them. I will definitely make these again.

Don't be afraid of the fruitcake...well at least don't be afraid of the fruitcake squares :)

click here for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment