Thursday, November 12, 2015

Pumpkin Roll

I'll start by admitting I've never been able to get the hang of making a pretty pumpkin roll that doesn't have big cracks in the top. Until now...

My niece Mickey requested this (and nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies, I'll post that a different day - they are SO good!) for her birthday - and even though I figured it wouldn't be pretty it would still taste good so I'd give it another go. This time it turned out perfectly! The two things I did differently must have made the difference - I pulled the cake out a couple minutes before I normally would, it was light brown but a tiny bit underdone; and I coated the tea towel heavily in powdered sugar before rolling the cake up. I followed a  Libby pumpkin roll recipe that I googled - the only thing I changed was swapping a big teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon and clove the recipe called for. I figured I have the pumpkin pie spice, might as well use it.  I sliced this before realizing I forgot to sprinkle with powdered sugar (oops), and I made whipped cream to serve on the side. Delish and impressive - I'm so happy I finally did it!

before you add the filling, the cake gets rolled
up in a kitchen towel well coated with powered
sugar until it cools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment