Monday, February 26, 2024

Marinated Cheese Appetizer

I'm sorry I don't have a photo of this, next time I make it I will try to remember snapping a pic. It's a very simple appetizer and is something different from a standard cheese and crackers plate. Alternating the 3 different cheeses (white Monterey Jack, yellow Cheddar, soft white texture of the mozzarella or cream cheese) and the Italian dressing mix makes the dish look really pretty. I don't completely drain the marinade before serving, I like there to be a little 'sauce' coating the slices. Also,  I don't arrange the cheese on a platter to serve, I leave it in the shallow baking dish so the slices stand up in rows instead of laying down on the platter. Make sense? Holler if not!

It isn't easy to cut cream cheese into uniform slices so I usually substitute with fresh mozzarella, or I patiently shape the cream cheese into pieces that match the block cheeses. You can omit the green onions and/or pimento if you want, we like it just fine without. 

1 envelope Italian dressing mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons minced green onion
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 (8oz) block Monterey Jack cheese, chilled
1 (8oz) block Cheddar cheese, chilled
1 (8oz) package cream cheese, chilled
1 (4oz) jar chopped pimiento, drained

  1. Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Set aside.
  2. Cut cheeses in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. 
  3. Arrange cheese in 4 rows in a shallow 2 quart baking dish, alternating the 3 different cheeses. Pour marinade over cheese. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
  4. Drain marinade; arrange cheese on a platter in rows. Top with pimiento, serve with assorted crackers.
here's a photo I found here to show you how to stack the cheese slices - the 
marinade is different but at least you get an idea of what it looks like. 



2.26.22: oops I missed a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment