Wednesday, February 26, 2020

My Sis is Hungry: Chicken with Balsamic Peppers


The title of this threw me a little. Balsamic chicken and peppers something or other.  I love Balsamic and I love peppers.  Sounds promising.

Oh and some kind of delicious mashed potatoes.  Can't go wrong with mashed potatoes in any form.

So lets start with those.  Yum.  Better than I can buy pre-made in the fridge section at Kroger!! Yep. that’s a compliment.  They were amazing.  Didn’t need butter, sour cream, anything.  So great. I did try it with some of the juice from the chicken and peppers just for fun and that was also great!

So onto the chicken and peppers.  First of all she clearly knows the husband likes “sauce”.  There was a lot of juice in the bottom of this.  Not sure if that’s what kept it so moist (yes I said moist).  Balsamic in the title made me think it would have a distinct balsamic flavor.  It really didn’t -  it was a pretty “basic” chicken as that goes.  I know that doesn’t sound like a compliment but it is.  Nothing over powering or distinctly flavoring this dish.  Just a solid, good chicken meal.  The peppers were more of a “side dish” I felt.  They were in slices on top of the chicken so really it became more of a vegetable side dish, if that makes sense.  They were also delicious and flavorful. 

All in all this was a safe chicken dish that seemed within my abilities to make (unless that sauce was complicated?).  The star of this meal was definitely the potatoes. 
Time for breakfast- I hope there is some of those leftover. 


Jill here - I can't believe I forgot to post this 'my sis is hungry' from November! Oops! I pretty much followed the recipe, although I chopped the chicken breasts into big pieces, and put it in a big bowl along with the oil and seasoning and tossed it around before putting it on the prepared baking sheet. Before I got my mortal and pestle, I crushed spices using a small glass bowl and a shot glass! I doubled the chicken and broth - I kept some of the chicken but not the pepper mixture which is why she had so much sauce, and added a sliced orange bell pepper because I had it on hand. And I hate to break it to my sis but the potatoes were store bought because I was in a hurry to get this dish to her LOL. Shhhhhhh....;)




  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 3/4 t. fennel seeds, crushed
  • 1/2 t. pepper
  • 1/4 t. dried oregano
  • 1/4 t. garlic powder
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 4 (6 oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • cooking spray
  • 2 cups thinly sliced red bell pepper
  • 2 cups thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 1 large)
  • 1 1/2 t. chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 T. balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 450'.

2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, fennel seeds, 1/4 t. pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. Brush chicken with 1 1/2 t. oil; sprinkle spice rub over chicken. Add 1 1/2 t. oil to pan. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over; cook 1 minute. Arrange chicken in an 11x7" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 4540' for 10 minutes or until done.
3. Heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, shallots, and rosemary; saute 3 minutes. Stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in vinegar, 1/4 t. salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve bell pepper mixture over chicken. 
     
Click here for original source. From 1/12 Cooking Light


No comments:

Post a Comment