Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Yarn Heart

This took me literally 5 minutes to make and turned out very cute - cuter than I expected actually! Perfect kid craft, but as always I'm not waiting for a kid to come make stuff with me and I just made it anyway ;) All you need is a cardboard heart, a piece of tape, and some yarn.

Don't have cardboard? When I'm searching for a thin piece (not thick like a box is made of) I'll raid anything - cereal or cracker boxes, the back of a notepad, etc. Dave doesn't even ask anymore why the bag of crackers is in the pantry not in a box hahahaha. Hey, you do what you have to do in the name of crafting.

So, trace and cut out a heart from a thin piece of cardboard - whatever size you want. Tape one end of the yarn to the heart to hold it in place and then start wrapping. And wrapping. And wrapping. Keep on going any which way to cover the cardboard completely. I found that in the beginning the yarn wanted to slip off the edges but as the heart got more and more covered it was easier to keep it in place. One thing I was thinking as I was trying to get all the cardboard covered so you couldn't see it, is that if you colored the cardboard the same color as the yarn then you could get away with tiny holes in the yarn wrapping.



Once the heart was completely covered and I liked how the yarn looked, cut the yarn from the rest of the skein and tuck the loose end in underneath the wrapped yarn. I pushed it in with the end of some not-sharp scissors to make sure the end was good and buried and wouldn't pull out. Then I attached a length of yarn to the top in order to hang it. Cute, right?




2.12.17: goat cheese tart
2.12.16: Brooke and Sydney make 'cootie catchers'

No comments:

Post a Comment