Saturday, February 29, 2020

Homemade Bloody Mary Mix

Last week I shared how to make bacon flavored vodka, which of course made me want a bloody mary, which then led to my trying to make my own bloody mary mix.  I like bloody mary mix all on it's own (without alcohol, that's my go-to drink on an airplane), when I drink the mix at home I doctor it with olives and olive juice, a spicy pickle spear, a dash of lemon juice and some pepper - so when I saw this recipe that has olives and lemon juice in it I thought I'd give it a whirl. The flavor is really good although the texture was a little odd, maybe I didn't blend it enough, it was a little thick and coarse. Still worth making but next time I'll let it process longer. I did make a couple changes -  removed the cuke seeds, added more olives and a splash of spicy pickle juice, I used bottled lemon and lime juice, and left out the garlic. Play around with adding more of any ingredient to get it just right for you. And if you want to add bacon flavored vodka I wouldn't try to talk you out of it ;)


  • 2 cups chopped peeled English cucumber (from 1 large cucumber)
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
  • 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 4 limes)
  • 10 Spanish Queen olives with pimientos
  • 1/3 cup jarred Spanish Queen olive brine
  • 3 garlic cloves, smashed
  • 3 T. Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 t. Old Bay seasoning
  • 1/2 t. celery salt
  • 1/2 t. black pepper
  • 1/4 t. kosher salt
  • 1/4 t. smoked paprika
  • 1 (64 oz) bottle tomato juice, divided (8 cups total)

Pulse all ingredients with 4 cups of the tomato juice in a blender until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large pitcher; add remaining tomato juice and stir to combine. Cover and chill until ready to use.

saw this at Coastal Living Magazine


Happy Leap Year! there's only been one other 2/29 since I started the blog:

2.29.16 Oscar party games and decorations

No comments:

Post a Comment