Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Painted Ornaments


Mary made me a super cute Scottie ornament last year for Christmas - she did other dogs as well but I didn't see any pics of them, if they're anything like the Scottie I'm sure they are equally cute! I don't know why I didn't blog them last year - so this year when she sent me photos of a basset hound ornament she made for another friend, and some pretty Christmas tree ones she made to hang from her dining room chandelier, I remembered to ask her how she did them and am definitely sharing this time around! 





Here's what Mary texted me when I asked for the deets: 

I freehand in white (or dark color for a different breed) on the plastic ball (you can scratch off mistakes if you do it quickly).  I painted the other colors over that. Then I used mod podge to paint the spots I wanted white and shook glitter over it. Same with other colors.  I think in hindsight I would do the darker colors first. I used a soft brush to brush away the extra glitter which sticks like a mutha on the plastic! I have “glitter glue” in a squirt on bottle that I used for the nose & the eye. I should probably top it with a fixative, but can’t remember if that’s what I did last year.    

supplies: craft paint, glitter, mod podge, brush, and clear plastic ornaments
There is no way I could freehand dog shapes right on the ornament like Mary does! And good thing you can scratch it off because I'm sure I'd be having to restart my shapes a bunch of times haha. What a great personal last-minute gift idea - love 'em!



12.12.2017: coincidentally, I posted the adorable pillow Mary me one year ago today!
12.12.2016: marquee letters  (using paper mache letters and christmas ornaments)
12.12.2015: fireball hot toddy


No comments:

Post a Comment