Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Mini Banana Cream Pies (rerun)

originally posted 8/10/16:


To make mini cream pies:

I baked the pie crust blind (that means without filling in them). Roll out premade pie dough (I like Pillsbury) and cut with a small 2" circle cutter, gently press into a mini cupcake tin (I've done this part before, click here for the mini fruit pie post). When you bake crust empty without filling, the dough will want to puff up so you need to weigh it down - they sell pie weights for this exact reason but I do not have any, an easy substitute is to weigh it down with dried beans. But I didn't have any of those either so I went online to see if I could find other substitute ideas - there were a few suggestions (rice and popcorn are the 2 I remember seeing, but doesn't baking popcorn seem like a mess waiting to happen?) and I went with trying dry rice. It worked really good, you just have to make sure to get all of the rice out after the crust has been baked - pretty sure baked in rice isn't going to taste good! I just used the edge of a small spoon handle to lightly scrap the rice out. Not the perfect scenario but it worked and the dough didn't puff up.

For the filling I just made banana pudding using 1 1/2 cups of milk, let it set up and then added chopped bananas and using my small cookie scoop filled the pie crust with the pudding. Top with either a little piece of banana or cool whip.


Easy and delicious :)

This will obviously work with other flavors instead of banana - make whatever pudding you want!



No comments:

Post a Comment