Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Gingersnaps

I posted Cathy's mom's molasses sugar cookies last month (remember Cathy asked me for the recipe and I told her no, it's a secret? 😂) and they are delicious. Everyone loved them. I wanted to make some cookies for Dave's ukulele meeting (they meet outside, sit in ball chairs, and are respectfully distant!) and he said I should make the molasses ones again, but hello - I don't usually repeat so I have new things to post (if I'm going to bake I might as well make new things, right?). So I looked in my 'favorites binder' and found this recipe for "Stubb's Gingersnaps" that I cut out of the LA Times 100 years ago  when we still got an actual newspaper - I have no idea who "Stubb" is, but these cookies are so good they've been in my favorites for a long, long time and I decided to make them for Dave's meeting.



So, here's the thing. While making them I asked Dave if he knew the difference between molasses cookies and gingersnaps? Nope, and neither did I. I didn't compare the two recipes until sitting down to write up this post and I was going to google the difference and let you know (cuz I'm helpful like that) - well guess what? The two recipes are almost exactly the same!! Whaaat??  Two minor differences - the molasses recipe calls for shortening and the gingersnaps use oil, and the gingersnaps call for twice the amount of cloves and ginger. They have the exact same amounts and ingredients other than that - so much for wanting to make something different!

I'll go ahead and post the gingersnap recipe - or you can just look back and check out the molasses hahahhaha!! Good grief.

STUBB'S GINGERSNAPS
  • 3/4 cup oil
  • 1 cup sugar, plus extra for rolling
  • 1/4 cup molasses (click here for an easy measuring tip)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 2 t. baking soda
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1 t. cloves
  • 1 t. ginger
Beat oil and sugar in bowl until creamy. Add molasses and egg, and beat well. Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Add to sugar mixture and mix well.

Roll into teaspoon-size balls. Roll in sugar to coat, and place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Bake at 375' until cracked and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes.

makes 4 dozen. 

Note: recipe says to roll into teaspoon-size balls - I use my small cookie scoop to make normal size cookies, or divide the small scoop in half for mini cookies; for the scoop size I bake about 10 minutes, for the 1/2 scoop size I bake about 6 minutes and watch carefully, they get over browned easily. This photo shows the full size on the right, small on the left. 


check out an easy tip for measuring sticky ingredients here

No comments:

Post a Comment