Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Tip-sy Tuesday: magic shell

I had no idea how easy it is to make homemade magic shell - and it tastes great too. I did a blind taste test before deciding if I wanted to pour it all over an ice cream cake I made for Jeff's birthday (stop back tomorrow for that recipe); by 'blind taste test' I mean I gave Dave 2 small bowls of ice cream, one with a spoonful of store-bought magic shell and the other with a spoonful of homemade and asked him to tell me which he preferred (and to not just eat them without paying attention like usual hahahaha). The homemade easily won.

Put 1 cup of chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet) and 2 Tablespoons coconut oil in a glass measuring bowl (or another microwaveable container), microwave on high for 30 seconds, stir, microwave for a few additional seconds until the chips are totally melted and smooth. Cool to room temperature.

That's it! Just chocolate chips and coconut oil. I had my doubts but sure enough, it hardened on the ice cream just like store-bought.

I didn't take a picture because it just looks like chocolate sauce - here's a sample of what it looked like on top of the cake, can you see that it's hardened? Even the drips are frozen in place.


Store at room temperature or in the fridge, it will harden but a few seconds in the microwave makes it smooth and pourable again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment