Monday, February 6, 2023

Crocheted Afghan/Fleece Tie Blanket Mash-up

Hmmm what to call this afghan and tie blanket throw/lap blanket? Haha I'm going with 'mash-up' - I literally sewed a crocheted afghan to a piece of fleece material, then cut a fringed edge all the way around the overhang of the fleece. Easy and pretty quick (once you have the throw part crocheted - that's also easy but will take a little bit longer!).

I crocheted the afghan using soft fluffy yarn so it would be soft and fluffy like the fleece side, in a basic single crochet stitch. It measures approx. 48 x 28". Make yours bigger or smaller, this is a totally winging it kind of project! Crochet til it's as big as you want.

Cut your fleece material so it's 5" bigger all the way around than the afghan (so add 10" of material in both directions). The extra 5 inches is to make the fringe - the fleece adds some weight and coziness, the fringe only adds fun and texture :) 

Examples: 

    • my afghan is 48" long so the fleece material needs to be around 58", and mine is 28" wide so the fleece is 38" = you'd need a piece of fleece that is 58"x38" rectangle. 
    • if you want to crochet a 48" square throw then your fabric should be a 58" square
    • a larger throw will need a bigger piece of fabric (obviously) - you'll need to check how wide the fleece is before you start, it might only be 58 to 60 inches wide and that will be important so you know how wide you can crochet the afghan side. 

                          

Once you have the afghan crocheted and finished (weave in the ends), pin it evenly to the fleece material. Sew around the edge to join the 2 sides. I put tape on the bottom feeder of my machine so the yarn wouldn't catch, and sewed on the fleece side, just be careful where the afghan is since you can't see it'd edge. I just went slow and felt the afghan with my fingers as I was sewing to make sure it stayed in place. 


After joining the two sides, cut strips in the fleece that is overhanging the afghan. My fringe is about 1/2" but you can do larger if you want. You could knot each strip but I didn't want to feel knots so I just left it as fringe. 




No comments:

Post a Comment