Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Tip-sy Tuesday: alcohol by volume vs proof

True story - when making rum cake for Christmas dinner I only had a bottle of 'Gold' rum 40 percent ABV on hand, but the recipe calls for 'Amber rum 80 proof''. 

Side note: I've made this cake for years and never really thought about using 'amber' rum, I just have always used what I have on hand, but I read in the notes that dark has more flavor than light so I wondered if 'amber' is darker and stronger than 'gold' and I better go buy some dark haha. 

It was Christmas Eve and I really wanted to avoid the grocery or liquor store so I popped in to the local Rite Aid just to see if they'd have it. The selection was very limited (naturally, I'm at a pharmacy not a liquor store hahha) so I grab a bottle of 'gold' off the shelf just to compare the proof amount to other bottles. I saw another bottle of rum said "35 percent ABV, 70 proof". Ohhhhhh a light bulb went on and I googled what proof is my gold bottle of 40 percent ABV? Sure enough, it's 80 proof!

I didn't realize that ABV and proof are different numbers!

I left the Rite Aid without buying anything and made my cake with gold rum 80 percent. And it was great hahah. 

My Google search found this article about ABV (alcohol by volume) and proof. Click here if you care, in a nutshell proof is two times the ABV.


1.9.20: TBT: pear salad


1.9.16: bloody mary (and a 2019 update)

No comments:

Post a Comment