Monday, May 1, 2017

Butternut Squash and Arugula Salad with Goat Cheese

It's not every day that I hear "I think this is my new favorite salad" from the hubby, trust me when I say that means this is a VERY good salad! And I'm with him, it's also my new fave.

I came across "butternut spirals" at the grocery store, they are like the zucchini noodles that are suddenly everywhere (click here for a recipe) only made out of butternut squash. I made the recipe on the back of the package and didn't change a thing except I added more arugula and used cherry tomatoes - and I will be making it all the time now! Yum.

10.7 ounces butternut spirals (I think shredded, grated, or chopped in small pieces would also work)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 oz. crumbled goat cheese
2 cups baby arugula
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1 diced roma tomato

Heat skillet over medium-high, add oil and butternut spirals and toss for 3-4 minutes until al dente (don't cook too long or they'll get mushy). Remove from heat, toss with arugula, pine nuts and tomato. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with goat cheese and enjoy with your favorite vinaigrette (optional. note I drizzled with a little olive oil and sprinkled on some white wine vinegar).

we had it as a side to grilled pork tenderloin. 

Sarge just waiting for something to leap out of the bowl and onto the floor :)



2 comments:

  1. I have never seen the butter nut squash in the store. Where would I look? What section of the store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first I've seen it spiralized, it was in the section of produce department where they had prepackaged veggies. You could just get a butternut squash and either spiralize it yourself if you have one or chop/grate really thin. Good luck, this is delish!

    ReplyDelete