Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Suitcase Divider

Before I tell you about our latest trip I have to show you what I just made, I'm super excited about this actually because the idea just came to me when I was posting about my packing list yesterday and I was thinking about how helpful a suitcase divider would have been. I googled and can't find anything like what I pictured so I just made it up myself - woohoo, Shark Tank here I come!


 Ok, ok, maybe you aren't finding this as exciting as am I...but I love the idea and it's going to be so helpful on my next trip. I took hollow core cardboard from some leftover packing material that hasn't made it into the recycle bin yet (D had to buy another tabletop grill, don't even get me started about that), measured and cut it to fit in my suitcase (one long piece the width of the suitcase and one shorter piece to divide one half vertically), then because plain old cardboard is boring I hot glued some old fabric around it so it's purdy. Before I take this idea to Shark Tank I will come up with a better way to cover the cardboard cuz I burned the shizzle out of my fingers stretching the fabric around the cardboard! Sigh. Wedged the inserts into the suitcase and now I have 3 separate spaces for organizing my travels - I'm imagining the bottom space will hold my shoes, one top part will have my clothes and maybe one of the packed cubes; the other part will hold toiletries, underthings, and accessories. I'm feeling like going on another trip just to test out my new invention!


As I mentioned, my bag got slapped with a "heavy" label so it was important to not make the divider out of anything that will add weight! This hollow core cardboard worked perfect, but I think regular cardboard will also work. I also chose the lightest fabric I had on hand, initially I was going to use felt but went with this super light cotton that doesn't match very well instead - I am my grandmother's granddaughter after all so just used what I had in the closet for instant craft gratification, when I sell this idea I'll make it out of fabric that matches the inside of the suitcase better ;).

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I might even make one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay - I hope you do,
      and then send me a picture please!

      Delete