Saturday, May 20, 2017

Mini Pies

I love to make these mini pies, and everyone loves to eat them. What is it about something in miniature that makes it so appealing? Maybe that it seems like you aren't eating so much if you have 5 little bites instead of one full piece? Whatever - trust me that these are super easy and delish - and they look like you spent a lot of time making them (when you didn't!)....it's a win-win dessert! For Memorial Day how about making blueberry and cherry for a "red, white, and blue" themed dessert? You can also make pudding/cream mini pies by baking the shells empty and then filling with whatever flavor you like - chocolate cream, coconut cream, banana cream are all favorites around here.

This is from last June:

My niece asked me to make her favorite mini pies for graduation last week, she wanted to share them with her co-workers/students on her last day of school. I made 48 total and that wasn't nearly enough, she said they were gone in like an hour and a half! Oops, I didn't plan that very good - but she said they were delicious and everyone loved them - yay.


This is a very easy shortcut way to make cute little mini pies using refrigerated pie crust and canned pie filling.


Roll out the crust so it's a little thinner than you would use for a full pie, then cut circles using a 2.25" round cookie cutter - I've also used a small juice glass before and that works just fine. Gently press the dough into mini muffin tins that have been lightly sprayed with non stick spray. Using my small cookie dough scoop I fill the cups about 3/4th full, too full and they'll bubble over (which makes a mess in the oven, trust me). Bake at 400' for approx 12 minutes until the edges of the crust are browned. Cool for a few minutes in the pan and then carefully remove to a cooling rack (I use a small knife to help lift them out).


I made blueberry using canned pie filling, after they were cool I drizzled them with powdered sugar mixed with a little milk (put in a small baggie, snip a bit off the tip and drizzle away).


She also requested apple and of course I forgot to buy apple pie filling...so I was all set to drive to the store for some when it occurred to me that I have apples and should just whip up my own apple filling. I peeled and diced 2 apples, put in a saucepan with a little bit of flour (like a tablespoon), 2 tablespoons of sugar, a dash of cinnamon and a small amount of water. Cook for 5 minutes or so at medium heat until the apples have cooked a bit but aren't mushy. To finish the apple pies I made a crumb topping  from 1/4 cup flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, a dash of cinnamon, and 4 tablespoons butter - using a fork I cut the ingredients together until it formed coarse crumbs - and then sprinkled on top.



Dave gave the blueberry pies a 10+ and the apple a 9.5...apparently canned pie filling tasted better than my made up apple pie filling. Oh well. Paige said she loved them both so that's good :)

Here is how her station turned out - she was happy with everything :)





No comments:

Post a Comment