Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Morning Glory Muffins


Does Starbucks still sell Morning Glory Muffins? I'm not sure - I used to love them tho and woke up the other day thinking about trying to recreate them to take on our road trip to see the eclipse, Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, and all that. Found a recipe here, seemed right so I whipped up a batch substituting dried cranberries for the raisins, replaced half the oil with applesauce, and omitting the nuts so Dave could help me eat them. These stayed really moist for a few days, perfect for camping breakfast or a snack, only downfall is they got moldy before we could eat them all - next time I'll store them in the fridge instead of on the counter.

2 cups flour
1 1/4 cup white sugar (I only used 1 cup, these are plenty sweet)
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I didn't add the nuts and didn't miss them)
1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1 apple - peeled, cored and shredded
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil (note I used 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract


1. Preheat oven to 350'.  Grease or line with paper muffin liners, 12 muffin cups. (Note: I didn't fill the cups that full and ended up with 16 muffins).
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the carrot, raisins, nuts, coconut, and apple.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, oil, and vanilla. Stir into the flour mixture just until moistened. Don't overtax. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean. (Note: since I didn't fill my cups up as much as the recipe called for they only took 15 minutes to bake).

one year ago today: Japanese Steakhouse Carrot-Ginger Salad Dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment