Saturday, September 2, 2017

She's 14!

Happy Birthday to my blogger buddy (and niece) Brooke!


She celebrated with her friends yesterday and asked if I'd make her a cake (like she had to ask, of course I will hahah) then sent me a beautiful inspiration picture of a cake she found on Pinterest and I thought "great, no pressure" but told her I'd do my best ;). It actually wasn't hard to do at all, just super super messy because of the mounds of sprinkles involved!

I baked a 2-layer doctored-up vanilla cake mix (extra egg, sour cream, vanilla, sprinkles in the batter) and made a double batch of buttercream frosting and tinted it bright pink. My favorite new thing is combining different kinds of sprinkles together to make a really cool new mixture - I literally mixed together just about every kind of sprinkle I had in my cupboard to come up with this fun idea...there's different sizes and shapes, multi-colored sugar, silver balls for sparkle - love this!


Frost the layer cake making the sides and top smooth - before it sets up pat on handfuls of the sprinkle mixture halfway up the sides. Around the top edge pipe big mounds of frosting (they remind me of Peeps!) - I did 14 mounds for her 14th birthday, then pile on sprinkles in the middle of them. I mean really pile them on! When you cut the cake sprinkles just fall off which was really cool actually and everyone loved it. They loved this cake so much in fact, that 10 girls ate the entire thing in probably 15 minutes! Seriously, I don't think I've ever had a cake just devoured like that - got home and Dave goes "there wasn't even a tiny sliver left for you to bring home?" HAHA!





No comments:

Post a Comment