Thursday, January 28, 2021

TBT: Old-Fashioned Ham Salad

I haven't done a throwback Thursday recipe in a long time - if you grew up like me you're probably familiar with ham salad and if you're an adult like me it's probably been a while since you've had ham salad? Am I right? Or do you eat this all the time? My mom gave me an old hand-crank food grinder that attaches to the counter or tabletop so when we had a lot of leftover ham I thought I'd get out the old grinder and make ham salad...except the grinder is really old and needs to be thoroughly cleaned and I wasn't in the mood for that so I used my food processor. (Note: I'm thinking the grinder will be a displayed item instead of an in-use tool because hello, food processor!)


 Didn't really follow a recipe although I did Google for the basic gist of how to make it. This is like most meat or egg salads and there's a lot of winging it involved. Put chunks of ham in the food processor, add bread and butter slices to your liking and a splash of pickle juice and pulse it up until they're combined. Add chopped celery including the inner leaves and enough mayo to hold it all together and pulse a bit more. 



I served this with the pub cheese soup I posted a couple weeks ago, and everyone said how their mom always made it and they hadn't had it in ages - it's super easy to put together and was surprisingly delicious, better than I remembered actually! 

No comments:

Post a Comment