Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Homemade Croutons

I don't love croutons and usually pick them off...unless they are these homemade ones! Have you ever  made them? They are so easy and taste SO much better than the store bought kind in the bag!


I usually use sliced bread, whatever I have on hand (and if it's sort of old that's a good thing, this is a great way to use up stale bread); remove the crust if you want, depends on the bread - if the crust is too crunchy or I want the croutons to look more uniform I remove it; cube it up into bite sized pieces, toss with melted butter and coarse salt and pepper (and any other spices you want, I usually just do salt and pepper). Bake in the oven at 400' for just a few minutes, turn them over once the bottoms are golden and toasty, and give them a few more minutes...it doesn't take long - watch that they don't burn. I don't like them super crunchy, bake them until they are done as much as you'd like. That's it! So good.


Sometimes I'll make the croutons in really big pieces, or even just do the whole slice of bread without cutting it up - that makes a great base for Caesar salad. Put the large crouton down on a plate and top with dressed Caesar salad and parmesan. 



*UPDATE 1/31/23: I reread this post the other day when I was making croutons and couldn't remember if I had posted how to make them - this old post said to drizzle with olive oil but the picture is melted butter haha!! I don't ever remember drizzling with olive oil, for as long as I can remember I've done melted butter and they are amazing. I'm adding this updated note in case you have followed the original post all this time and use olive oil - if you've bookmarked this page for the recipe and now it say butter instead of oil I figured I'd give you a heads up down here haha! 

No comments:

Post a Comment