Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Zucchini Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies

My niece suggested I do a category of lighter and healthier options, I think that's a great idea - we usually eat pretty healthy and simply (not counting Sunday Suppers and all those baked goods haha!) so when I make something that has a lighter or healthier twist I'll try to post it. First up is... cookies! Ok, ok,  maybe not health food exactly, but this has zucchini in it which is obviously healthy and has to have lightened up these cookies somewhat - right? Does it count as eating your vegetables? :)


I had shredded zucchini in the freezer from that gigantic zucchini last fall (click here for that post), I thawed and drained it before adding to the other ingredients. Followed the recipe pretty closely except I used regular oats (not quick cook) and omitted the nuts. The recipe suggests reserving a few of the chocolate chips to put on the tops of the dough before baking, I did that for one sheet and didn't like how it looks so for the remaining cookies I just put all the chips in the dough and scooped out using my medium cookie scoop (approx. 2 Tablespoons). I got 32 cookies (without eating any of the dough haha).

with chips added to the top of dough...

...and without

left is chips added to tops, right is just all mixed in.

I expected the texture to be like oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies but they are more like little soft zucchini bread cookies. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I thought they'd be like - still yummy though and everyone who has tried them loves them... a winner recipe and "healthier"? Can't beat that :)

click here for the recipe.





2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes! I made them a couple of days ago and they are still super moist and delish...and they are really good for breakfast! :)

      Delete