Monday, December 4, 2017

Wine Cork Christmas Trees

Yes, I've made lots of cork crafts. Trivets, cork boards, keychains, a pumpkin, a heart, a flower holder, even a small wall... not sure why I love crafting with them so much hahah but I do! And I especially LOVE these Christmas trees!!! I didn't plan on loving them so much - initially I just thought I'd make one for myself and be done, but I became slightly addicted and made like 10 (thank goodness I seem to have an endless supply of corks on hand)! These aren't hard to make, the colors and combinations are endless - and really, how cute are these trees?!!


Instructions:
  • for this size tree you'll need 19 corks, try to find ones that are roughly the same length. If you want a bigger or smaller tree just adjust your rows accordingly.
  • paint one end of each cork whatever color you want using craft paint. For the glittery ones I just dipped them in a jar of glitter before the paint dried. I had some corks that have a gold foil piece attached to one end, I included those in the trees for a different material and look. 
  • after they're dry, play around with the layout until you like how it looks, then hot glue them together. I glued them in rows and then glued the rows together. 
  • for the stand: cut rolls of paper towel or toilet paper into 1" pieces, cover with decorative paper. I had wood grain Stampin' Up paper on hand but other colors are fine. Then glue the base to a small rectangle of cardstock, glue to the base of the tree. 
  • to finish I attached a thin gold wood star (I have a small bag of these from some craft store) and  some ribbon to the top of each tree. If you can't find these stars I would use a small gift bow, or a ribbon tied in a bow, or cut out a paper star...or whatever else you can think of! 
so far I've done multiple combos of red, green, white, sand, light and dark gray, gold, silver...and depending on the size of your glitter you'll get different looks. For instance see the difference in fine gold and chunky gold glitter...


play with the arrangement till you're happy, then glue in place.

the base is a circle of paper towel roll covered with a piece of wood patterned (or other) paper,
glued onto a small rectangle of cardstock then glued to the base of the tree



finish with a star and some ribbon. 



I forgot to take a picture of it, but I made one for Ronda's display table that is two-sided. One side is like these examples but on the back side I cut out small circles of Stampin' Up Christmas patterned paper and glued one onto each cork in case she wants to display it that way...it was cute!


These conveniently fit perfectly in the gift boxes I just learned how to make (click here for that post).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment