Saturday, November 18, 2017

DIY: Paper Boxes

I signed up for one of Ronda's classes and received this big bag full of different projects to be assembled. Now here's the funny part - I spend hours and hours cutting, stamping, sorting, and packaging these exact projects for her... so you'd think I know what I'm supposed to do...but I don't. Fortunately she has tutorials online to help but still, it's a bit overwhelming to have all these little bits of things hahaha! I had a cold last week and was a little bored, so decided I'd crank out all these projects...uh yeah, no. But the reason I didn't is because once I learned how to make these paper boxes I became obsessed and started making tons of them! I never realized how easy it is to make your own box! And just like what happened when I learned how to make my own paper bags out of wrapping paper (click here for that post) knowing how to make paper boxes in whatever size I want is going to change my gift wrapping game.

For this 6" box you need a 12"x12" and a 9"x9" piece of patterned paper - it's fun to make them out of coordinating patterns and colors but you can make them all the same, or do both pieces in a solid color.

Starting with the 12"x12" paper, score 3" from the edges on all 4 sides. Cut up on the score lines 3" on 2 opposite sides of the box. Don't cut all the corners or you won't be able to build the box, I made that mistake the first time! Gently fold at the score lines, turn the paper over and put glue on all 4 corners (there are 3" squares at each corner where the score lines overlap, that is where you'll glue) turn the paper back over and fold so the glued corners overlap and attach to the straight sides of the box. There's your bottom half of the box.

For the top, do the same thing to the 9"x9" paper only make the score lines at 1 1/2" in on all four sides. Cut up on 2 opposite sides, glue the corners and fold in to form the top.  I probably made this sound harder than it is!! It's quick and easy once you see what I'm talking about...

12x12" paper, scored 3" in on all 4 sides. Cut on the score lines 3" up on two of the sides.
See the above picture for example of what I mean for where to cut. 

turn the paper over and apply glue or double sided tape to the four corner squares

turn back over and fold as shown. the glued corner squares come to the
inside of the box then the straight sides come up and stick to them. Repeat the steps using a 9x9" piece of paper for the top of the box. 
then decorate! 
the contents of my fun bag of projects from Ronda...now if I can just figure out how to put them all together!







No comments:

Post a Comment