Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Where's the School Psychologist?

My niece Mickey texted to ask if Brooke and I would make her a cute sign for her school office door and sent a picture of an example she liked - here's her text and picture:


Hey guys. For my bday can y'all make me this? 
But not this. 
I think I want a Mickey Mouse themed one. And something that's more obvious and blatant 
Since you two are the craft queens

"Craft queens" made me laugh. I 'm pretty sure I need a crown now ;) Since Brooke is a teenager and super busy she wasn't able to come help me, so I had to make it up myself...and I'm so loving how it turned out, hope Mick likes it!

Here's how it came together:

I started with a flat wood frame that I painted black on the top third, red on the bottom (going for a Mickey Mouse theme!)


I painted the red on first roughly 2/3rds of the way up, then marked where I
wanted the black to go with painters tape so there would be a nice straight line. 

Found a bag of small wooden letters at the craft store (had to buy 2 bags to get enough h's). Painted them yellow and glued them in place on the top black part.

 I don't have pictures of the rest of the steps...but here's what I did:

-Using velcro self adhesive dots I attached 2 big white buttons, these will hold the little signs showing where she is thru out the day.
-Attached a piece of Mickey Mouse patterned paper to the bottom, wrapping it around the underside  to help anchor it, glue in place. This makes a pouch of sorts. To keep it from falling open (see pictures) I stuck a velcro dot to the top of the pouch.
-downloaded a free template for Mickey Mouse hands, scaled to size and printed them on heavy white cardstock. Using Stampin' Up dimensional squares (puffy white sticky squares that make whatever you stick down stand away from what it's stuck to - creating "dimension") I stuck the hands to the patterned cardstock so it looks like the hands are holding the pouch up.
-Cut out two big black circles and glue behind for the ears.


Then I typed up and printed some places I think she might be - "out of the building" "in a meeting", etc., mounted them to black cardstock, laminated the front. The ones that aren't being displayed are kept in the pouch made from the patterned paper and hands. She can easily just change where she is by placing the appropriate card behind the buttons.


Isn't it cute? This was fun to make - I'm super happy with how it turned out and was so excited to give it to her...I made Mickey (my niece, not the mouse HA) FaceTime me when she opened it so I could watch her (how did we live without FaceTime? Being able to see her on her birthday was almost like being with her!) and I should have recorded her so you could see her reaction - so cute :). 
She texted later:
"THANK YOU SO SO MUCH. I really really love the sign and cannot wait to hang it. It's so so amazing". make 

No comments:

Post a Comment