Wednesday, July 17, 2019

North Carolina Tarheel Cookies

  1.  I have no recollection of taking a cooking class at "The Tasting Spoon" in Marina del Rey   where this recipe is from.
  2.  I have a terrible memory so even tho I don't remember it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
  3.  I wrote on the top of the recipe "very good - chewy, many flavors"; I should totally be a food   critic with my eloquent descriptions.
  4.  I didn't read this recipe all the way thru, probably wouldn't have made them if I saw that it  makes 6 1/2 to 7 dozen cookies! 
  5. At the bottom of the recipe the author wrote "I always get 7 dozen, but I don't eat raw dough"
  6. Anyone else feel like that's a little bit judgey? hahahaha. I only got 57 cookies which is 4.75 dozen (I had to use the calculator to figure that out) but I did not eat 2.25 dozen cookies worth of dough Ms. Judgey Judgerson. Maybe my idea of "walnut size"* and hers is different.
  7. Lastly, I have no idea why these are named "North Carolina Tarheel Cookies". When I googled for other recipes nothing came up except college-themed frosted cookies. Weird. But whatever the name, these are really really really good. Oh wait - actually they are "very good - chewy, many flavors". Sort of a cross between chocolate chip and oatmeal with a few other things thrown in. Note I didn't add nuts so Dave could also eat them, which is good since I have 4.75 dozen cookies.
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup rum or brandy
  • 1 stick butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups shredded coconut
  • 1 cup chopped nuts
  • 3 cups quick-cooking oats (note* I used regular old-fashioned oats which makes an even chewier cookie)
Directions:
  1. Soak raisins in rum overnight - or microwave, covered with plastic wrap for 1 minute. 
  2. In an electric mixer cream butter, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, then chocolate and vanilla.
  3. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to mixer. On low speed add coconut, nuts, and oats. Drain the raisins and add to mixture (discard brandy).
  4. Roll dough into tablespoon/walnut-sized* balls. Place on parchment lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. 
  5. Bake at 325' for 12-15 minutes until light golden brown. Leave on baking sheet for 1 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool. Store in tightly covered containers in a cool place. 


No comments:

Post a Comment