Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Tip-sy Tuesday: Frosting

After making the cookie dough cupcakes last week I learned something I didn't know - the batch of buttercream frosting made exactly enough frosting for 2 tablespoons on each of 24 cupcakes. Usually I pipe the frosting on using a decorating bag but this time I used a scoop and found the size of the scoop is exactly right to divide the frosting evenly on one batch of cupcakes. Cool. Good to know.

mmmmm...nothing like ice cream scoops
of homemade buttercream frosting! 

I've posted my buttercream recipe a few times, but here it is again so you don't need to go looking:

Cream 1 stick of unsalted butter in a standing mixer (or use a hand mixer) until its fluffy. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla, a pinch of salt, 1 cup powdered sugar. Gradually add another 3 cups of powdered sugar alternating with a little milk or cream until you reach the right consistency.

You can change it up by adding cocoa powder to make chocolate frosting; or beat in some cream cheese or marshmallow fluff; or fold in thick pudding, whipped cream, or cool whip...lots of variations but you can't beat plain ol' vanilla buttercream in my book.

Funny story from when my nieces were little - I made cupcakes and for whatever reason used canned frosting. They were all "these are weird and don't taste like usual" - even little kids could tell the difference! After that they'd ask for cake with "the good" frosting. So cute.


7.16.18: golf counter pin
7.16.17: zucchini lasagna
7.16.16: Jen has a fun friend gift idea

No comments:

Post a Comment