Sunday, July 16, 2017

Zucchini Lasagna

I got this recipe from The Italian Dish blog that I love (see the side bar on my main page for a couple other blogs I also like) - I haven't made a bad recipe following her instructions, and this Zucchini Lasagna is one of my favorites. I changed a couple things - her original recipe calls for cooking the zucchini first and I just use it raw, and she uses 1 cup of bread crumbs but I scaled it back to 1/2 cup. It is usually watery after baking it (haha it's probably because I don't cook the zucchini and reduced the bread crumbs!) but I just carefully tip the dish over the sink and drain some of the water off. This is really, really good - a perfect easy summer meatless recipe.

  • 3 lbs. zucchini, sliced into long thin strips
  • 1 quart spaghetti or thick tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cups bread crumbs
  • 1 lb. ricotta
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 T. chopped parsley
  • 1/2 t. dried oregano
  • 1/2 t. dried basil
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 cup grated parmesan
  • 1 cup coarsely grated mozzarella
Combine ricotta, eggs, parsley, seasoning and half of the parmesan cheese and half of the bread crumbs in a bowl. Set aside.
In a 9x13 pan, spoon a thin layer of tomato sauce. On top of the sauce layer 1/2 of the zucchini,   1/2 ricotta mixture, half the mozzarella cheese, the rest of the zucchini, layer more tomato sauce and the rest of the bread crumbs and top with remaining ricotta mixture. Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.

Bake 350' for 1 hour. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.

Note: This time I made it in an 8x8" pan and did 3 layers instead of 2 - either way is yum!




click here to see the original post from The Italian Dish. 

2 comments: