Monday, July 24, 2017

Paper Gift Pouches

I'll start by saying I love these paper pouches Ronda designed - just to get that out of the way.

She is working on a big order and needed 120 of these pouches made - to make one you need to score, cut, fold, tape, and decorate - naturally I opened my big mouth and volunteered to do them at home thinking I'd be able to whip them out in no time sitting in my craft room listening to music with no distractions. How bad could it be? Did I mention 120 of them? Yeah.....

So a couple days and like 11 hours later I finish. And I kid you not while packing them and all the supplies up to take back to her I see a stack of mini glue dots on the corner of my table and think to myself "what the? what are those for?" Oh sh...ugar, I missed a step. I'm not gonna lie that I debated ignoring the fact that I did them wrong and hope she wouldn't notice but that goes against my perfectionism and knew that I had to make it right. I didn't tell her that part and she doesn't need to know haha - they're done and look great and overall I love this project. And even though you might think I'll never want to make another one, I will. This is too great and useful to not make more of - you can scale them up or down to fit whatever you want (I actually made a small one to hold a gift card right after I finished number 120 of Ronda's!) and as long as you aren't making so many they really don't take very long at all!

To make a 4x6" like these you'll need:

  • one 6" piece of double sided cardstock (note all of these supplies are from Stampin' Up, I love love love this wood patterned paper, it comes in a bunch of different grains)
  • one 4x6" piece of the same paper
  • scissors, something to score with, adhesive (I used tear off tape and snail glue, glue stick would probably work)
  • 1 1/2 inch circle punch
Score the 6" piece of paper 1 inch in on the sides and 3/4" up on the bottom. Using the punch remove a half circle from the top middle edge that hasn't been scored. Purely for decoration and not necessary if you just leave it straight. Cut a square out of the 2 bottom edges where the folds come together, that's extra paper you don't need and makes the edges bulkier. Fold the 3 scored edges in.

Turn the scored paper over so the flaps are turned underneath, add adhesive to the bottom edge of the bigger piece and stick to the bottom edge of the 4x6" piece paying attention to which way you want the wood to show - Ronda did the same pattern on the front and back of the pouch with the contrasting pattern on the inside. Then glue down the 2 sides forming the pouch. 

after scoring, cut out the little square made at each bottom corner where the score lines intersect (see next picture) fold the edges in along the score lines, then turn the paper over
make a half circle notch on the top edge if you want. the white lines are where you'll be taping to the smaller paper


 tape the bottom edge of the larger folded card to the bottom edge of the smaller card as shown.

glue the 2 sides of the larger folded paper (laying down on the table in this picture) to the smaller piece of paper

back of the pouch
front of pouch




















You could stop there but if you want to decorate like the ones shown here you'll need:
Look - this is my favorite one! Know why?
Yep, it's #120 ;)
  • sticky foam dimensionals
  • mini glue dots
  • paper lace doily
  • bakers twine
  • 1 1/2" white paper circle stamped with message or design of your choice. Ronda filled her pouches with packages of twine and stamped "we are cut out to be friends" on the paper circle. 
  • it's hard to see in these pics but behind the white paper circle is a little bit bigger circle punched with a starburst punch out of silver glitter paper. 
-Glue a paper doily to the front using snail glue or glue stick.
-Wrap twine twice around the pouch and tie in a little bow.
-Attach the glitter circle using 2 or 3 foam dimensionals (they give the design more of a 3D look and makes attaching over the twine easier).
-Using mini glue dots (here's what I missed) glue the paper circle to the glitter circle. The glitter paper is hard to stick to, the mini glue dots are stronger than snail glue or glue stick!





No comments:

Post a Comment