Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Off-The-Shoulder Tip

I only own one off the shoulder top - I like them just fine but hate how they don't stay down off my shoulders! When I move my arms the neckline pops off my shoulders,  I spend all my time fussing with it and yanking it back down...I dislike annoying clothes haha. So, in comes my sister with this great tip that actually works (do I sound like I didn't believe her when she first told me?) and I have to share with any of you that are in the same boat.

The basic idea is to attach something to the inside of the shirt that goes under your armpit and stops the shirt from riding up. There are 2 ways to go about doing this:

1) put 2 safety pins on an elastic ponytail holder, pin one to the front of the sleeve and one to the back - you'll have to play around with how far apart to pin them, it depends on the shirt and the distance under your arm. When you put the shirt on, your arm goes between the ponytail holder and the sleeve so the ponytail holder is under your armpit.

2) or you can sew a short length of elastic or ribbon (or whatever you have) to the shirt in the same place you would put the safety pins.

I did the second option and sewed a piece of ribbon in my shirt; because the material is very sheer and fragile I didn't want to poke holes in it with the safety pin method, and for the same reason I couldn't sew the ribbon in on the underside of my arm either so I sewed it to the hem at the front of the sleeve and the back. I used 8" of ribbon so it was long enough to go from the top front of the shirt, under my armpit, and back up to the top back of the shirt. See my photos to get a better idea of what I'm trying to say!

I had to attach at the neckline hem because of the material this shirt is made out of.

this is what it will look like after I sew it. 
once sewn (or safetly pinned) your arm goes between the strap and the sleeve
trying to show you where the strip goes, see how it's under my arm and the sleeve is on top?

Doing either option makes it so the shirt stays down on your shoulders and will not pop up! For real! And you can barely feel the strap or ponytail holder, didn't bother me at all. Genius. I did this to my shirt and immediately wore it to lunch - the waitress said "oh I love your top, I can't wear that style because it won't stay down off my shoulders..."and I said "I know! Let me show you what I did..." and she loved the tip! Look sissy, paying your tip forward and making people happy. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment