Thursday, July 27, 2017

Mug Cozy

You've heard of the whole "Christmas in July" thing, right? Getting a head start on Christmas gifts, especially if you are planning to give homemade gifts, is a great idea - one that I rarely plan ahead for and end up frantically crocheting at the last minute! Not this year...I'm determined to get going with plenty of time to spare (we'll see how long that lasts haha).

I crocheted these easy mug cozies after seeing them on our trip to Ireland - I purchased the cute sheep on a stick there, but the crochet part of the cozy is so simple there was no way I was going to spend like $15 on one! This was a super quick project, just a matter of minutes to crochet a rectangle long enough to wrap around a mug - then hold it closed with the stick. I like this better than the more fitted cozies I've seen because it's adjustable to many different sized mugs - clever.

Now since I only bought 2 of the sheep, I don't have more of the stick things here and I'm either going to have to figure out how to make them, or use something else as the closure. A large pin would work and be pretty cute actually, or I'll find little things to hot glue to the top of a short dowel.

For the crocheted body I played with different yarns and simple stitches - all single crochet, all double, all half-double, creating a pattern with single and double...it really doesn't matter. Just crochet whatever looks pretty to you!




I'm thinking big safety pins like these would make good closures too...I'll let you know what I make or find to keep the cozy on the mug!

2 comments:

  1. Wow so cute and a great idea! Girl your hired! We crochet in this family as well. My mom is great, but my sister is amazing!! She gets that talent from my Grandmother. I am ok but that is it. My sister makes these amazing baby blankets and burp clothes to match with a thread crochet boarder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of your sisters talent! My Grandma taught me when I was 9 and I've been doing it ever since - but haven't graduated much past scarves and hats!

    ReplyDelete