Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Creamy Polenta with Garden Tomato Sauce

I've been looking for different ways to use the tomatoes and beans from my garden when I found this old recipe - except I didn't plant plum tomatoes this year so had to buy some to make this dish 🤷‍♀️ so I'm still on the lookout for tomato recipes haha. Oh well - this recipe is totally worth having to buy tomatoes! I added meatballs and sausage chunks but think it would taste great meatless, and if you don't want to deal with making polenta the sauce would be great over pasta.

        

Garden Tomato Sauce Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced, about 1/2 cup
  • 1 small celery stalk, trimmed and diced, about 1/2 cup
  • 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
  • 2 large garlic cloves, diced
  • 18 plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 to 8 pre-cooked Italian-style chicken sausage, cut into chunks (optional)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Creamy Polenta ingredients:
  • 2 cups reduced-fat milk
  • 2 cups water
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups stoneground cornmeal
  • 2 tablespoons butter
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot, celery, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring, 5 minutes.

Add tomatoes and any juice from the bowl. Mash lightly with a wooden spoon. Add oregano and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes, until tomatoes have cooked down and formed a chunky sauce. Add sausage and stir to combine. Cook 5 to 10 minutes, until sausage is heated through. Add cheese and stir well. Remove from heat and keep warm until ready to serve.

                 
To make polenta, combine milk and water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Gradually add cornmeal, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Add butter. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring almost constantly, 25 to 30 minutes, until polenta is thick. Serve topped with warm sauce and chunks of sausage. Serves 4.

recipe by Karen Berman (I ripped this out of a newspaper and it's been in my file forever - I have no idea where it's from!)
                                     

*my notes:
-there was a lot of juice in the tomatoes so it took longer than 20 minutes for it to cook down into a chunky sauce.
-I added 4 chicken sausages and also 16 small frozen meatballs, let them cook in the sauce until warmed thru. We weren't eating this until later so I put it in the fridge and warmed up in the microwave before serving.
-I always have to add additional water when cooking polenta, not sure what I'm doing wrong but every time it is immediately too thick but not cooked yet; I stir in more water in 1/2 cup increments until the polenta is done and the consistency is what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment