Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Baby Spinach Salad with Dates and Pita Croutons

I've been spending SO MUCH TIME going thru photos on my phone and computer - side note: I'm developing a system finally after all these years to try to organize them, I think it's going to help a ton but sooooo time consuming - don't know about you guys but I take a picture when I see a recipe, craft, inspiration from wherever and then of course completely forget about them. I'm talking hundreds if not thousands of them! Going thru years worth of ideas is a bit overwhelming...on the plus side, you don't have to wonder if I'll ever run out of things to blog - the list is endless! But it does bring up one problem - I get recipes, photos, and ideas from my friends and family all the time (which I love - please don't stop!) but sometimes they get pushed down the list and then I lose track of them...like this great salad from Janis. I've never thought to make croutons from pita bread, so good!


1 T. white wine vinegar
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
3 1/2 oz. pitted Medjool dates, quartered lengthwise
2 T. unsalted butter
2 T. olive oil
2 small pitas, about 3 1/2 oz., roughly torn into 1 1/2" pieces
1/2 cup whole unsalted almonds, coarsely chopped
2 t. sumac
1/2 t. chile flakes
5 oz. baby spinach leaves
2 T. lemon juice
salt

Put the vinegar, onion, and dates in a small bowl. Add a pinch of salt and mix well with your hands. Leave to marinate for 20 minutes, then drain any residual vinegar and discard.

Meanwhile, to make the pita croutons,  heat the butter and half the olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the pita and almonds and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring all the time, until the pita is crunchy and golden brown. Remove from the heat and mix in the sumac, chile flakes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside to cool.

photo from the "Jerusalem" cookbook
When you are ready to serve, toss the spinach leaves with the pita mix in a large mixing bowl. Add the dates and onion, the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, and another pinch of salt. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.

Serves 4
source of original recipe
Note: when I read "sumac" in the ingredients I thought "what the? Like poison sumac?" but then I did a little research and nope, it's totally edible and a popular spice used in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean diets. It has a tangy lemony flavor and can be used in many different ways like in dry rubs, marinades, dressings, and sprinkled on food before serving. Learned somethin' new today :)


10.2.18: baggie wreath
10.2.17: caramel apple pudding shots
10.2.16: vegetable soup
10.2.15: bloody candles

No comments:

Post a Comment