Friday, November 5, 2021

MSIH: Lemon Orzo Soup

I made this soup the same morning I saw the recipe because it sounded sooooo good (plus it was really cold out that morning!) - it made way more than I expected so I sent some home with my sis so she can give us a 'my sis is hungry' review...here's what she has to say about it:

Things that make you go hmmmmm... 

This soup. That’s it. all I’ve got today. HAHAHA!

So the texture is slightly off putting.  I say that because the orzo “swelled” and soaked up the juice.  That made them tiny squishy bits.  In fairness Jill did tell me to add a little water if I wanted it to have more broth to it. I didn’t do that since I was eating it for breakfast I decided to leave it thick so I could pretend it was oatmeal and I was being healthier than I was.

 

The flavor itself had only a hint of lemon- almost an aftertaste- which I actually liked over just a flat out lemon taste.  The bits of carrots and chicken were also delicious.  The husband wouldn’t like this one in general because he’s a dude- but I thought it was pretty good.  Pretty good doesn’t seem like a booming endorsement but it sure made a better breakfast than oatmeal. I also am going for seconds – which I don’t do at breakfast with oatmeal either. ðŸ˜‰


  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 ½ cups diced carrotsabout 3-4 medium carrots
  • ½ cup diced celeryabout 3 ribs
  • ½ cup finely diced onion
  • 2 cloves garlicor 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 8 cups chicken broth (I use low-sodium)
  • ¾ cup (138 g) orzo pasta
  • 1 bay leaf
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
  • ¼ teaspoon dried basil
  • ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 to 3 cups cooked, chopped chicken
  • ¼ to ½ cup fresh lemon juice (see note)

Optional Roux:

  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 3 tablespoons flour

INSTRUCTIONS 

  • In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic, and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring often, until the onions have softened and started to turn translucent.
  • Add the broth, orzo, bay leaf, salt, oregano, basil, and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes until the orzo is tender. 
  • Optional for slightly thicker soup: stir together the melted butter and flour until smooth. Whisk into soup and simmer for 1-2 minutes. 
  • Stir in the chicken and lemon juice and cook until heated through, 2-3 minutes. 
  • Remove the bay leaf. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Serve servings of soup with chopped fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese (optional but tasty).


Jill again - her review is pretty much what I thought, I put in 1 cup of orzo and there was plenty of broth the first day but it was absorbed when I ate it the next morning (also for breakfast, that's funny!). I added water to mine and turned it back into soup - the flavor is good, I used 1/3 cup bottled lemon juice so if you want it more lemon-y adjust the amount to your taste, omitted the onion, used garlic powder, and whisked in the roux so the broth would be thicker. 


click here for original source


11.5.20: MSIH: west coast chili

11.5.19: TT: pumpkin pie spice

11.5.18: crock pot beef stew

11.5.2017: pot roast with tomato sauce
11.5.2016: sweet dill pickles
11.5.2015: corn husk wrapped candles

No comments:

Post a Comment