Monday, February 14, 2022

Red Velvet Cookies

Unless you read this post early this morning and have the ingredients on hand, it might be a little late for you to make for today - Valentine's Day! But other than being red they are totally not only for Valentines or Christmas, they are easy to make and easier to eat hahah. I didn't think I like red velvet flavors but guess what, I'm wrong. These are a new 'keeper' recipe in my book! 

My sis asked if I wanted to make cookies for Senior Night at basketball last week - of course I do - and she came up with the idea to do red velvet representing one of the school colors (Laingsburg colors are red and black); I responded 'no, it takes a LOT of red dye and no one wants that'. She begged to differ, said the amount in one cookie isn't very much and it'd be fine, and that it's a cute 'theme' cookie. 

So I googled for recipes - I've never made red velvet cookies before - and found a few that looked good. Don't know why I settled on this one I found at tasteofhome.com but I'm super glad I did, some reviews weren't great but they are wrong hahahah. There isn't anything I'd change about this recipe. 

Because I can't keep it simple I decided to make 3 different kinds of cookies - double chocolate with a hershey hug, s'more, and these:

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 T. milk
  • 2 t. red food coloring
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup baking cocoa
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 3/4 cup white baking chips (plus additional for presentation, see my note below)

1. Preheat oven to 350'. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk, food coloring, and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in baking chips.

2. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart onto parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until set, 6-8 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Oh wait, I lied - I did change a couple things! I doubled the food color to 1 Tablespoon to get the dough redder - start with 2 t. and see what you think before adding more.  I used coarse salt, measured with my medium cookie scoop and it took about 10 minutes to bake them. Also, after dropping them onto the cookie sheet and before baking them,  I studded more white chips on top because I didn't like how you couldn't see the chips that were baked into the dough.

2.14.21: 🔥week 7



2.14.17: flower heart by Julie

2.14.16: tuna over nice (basically a Nicoise salad)

No comments:

Post a Comment