Sunday, February 14, 2016

Tuna Over Nice (Nicoise Salad)

This is a recipe I've been making for years and years - actually I don't know where the original recipe
is anymore, I just throw it together now and it's probably changed over time. I'm not sure why the name is "Tuna Over Nice" instead of Salad Niçoise because it seems the same to me but whatever, I didn't name it. And it's really good so you can even call it "salad with tuna and a bunch of other stuff" and people will still be impressed.

Dave took the picture for me, he didn't get
the pretty tomatoes and beans in the shot but
they're in there!


For 2 servings I use:

-1 pound Tuna steaks, fresh or frozen, grilled how you like. I don't like rare or seared but that seems to be the traditional way people like it.
-4 red potatoes or 6-8 baby potatoes, boiled and chopped in big pieces (or halved if you use baby potatoes)
-1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
-a big handful of steamed green beans (don't overcook, you want them a little crunchy), I leave them whole but you can chop into bite sized pieces.
-2-3 hard boiled eggs, halved/quartered/or chopped up
-1 Tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
-lettuce (enough for 2 people. I like to use spring mix or spinach/arugula mix - once again, whatever you like or have on hand)
-the original recipe called for black olives but I don't use them
-olive oil, vinegar (whatever kind you have) or bottled vinaigrette
-salt and pepper


In a big bowl mix together olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper to make a vinaigrette. I don't measure them out, just pour in some oil (I'm going to say maybe 1/3 cup, it can be whatever you want depending on how much dressing you like) and then some vinegar (maybe a tablespoon or more depending on how vinegary you want it) and whisk it together with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Sometimes I just use bottled vinaigrette, or I'll add a spoonful of dijon mustard just to change it up. You just need an oil and vinegar type dressing of some sort.

So, put the dressing in the bowl first. On top of that add chopped up cooked potatoes, halved cherry tomatoes, and the steamed green beans. I let that set without mixing or stirring it while Dave grills the tuna. When the fish is done, add the lettuce on top of everything in the bowl and then gently toss. Divide onto 2 plates, top with capers and hard boiled eggs (it doesn't matter how you cut them up, usually I just chop them and sprinkle over the salad but it's pretty to have them halved or quartered and arranged around the outside of the tuna). Top with the grilled tuna.

It might seem like there are a lot of steps because of the way I rambled while writing this recipe, but it's easy - vinaigrette, boiled potatoes and eggs, steamed green beans, grilled tuna. It's not hard, please try this recipe!

PS: I don't steam the beans separately, when the potatoes are almost done boiling I throw the beans on top of them for the last couple of minutes and then drain the whole pot. Done, and one less pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment