Thursday, February 18, 2016

Fleece Tie Pillow

Have you made a no-sew fleece tie blanket? I love them, they make great gifts and it's a project that anyone can do...and there are like a billion choices of patterns at the fabric store! That part is overwhelming for sure - choosing 2 coordinating fabrics takes me forever. Anyway, I thought using that technique and making a throw pillow for the guest room would be a fun easy project and it turned out really cute. I wanted to put felt letters on the front so got white fleece to put them on, and a striped pattern that matches the room for the backside. I cut out letters L,T, N, S - which stands for "Long Time No See" from different colors of scrap felt I had on hand, I used 2 different colors and sizes for each letter but it would be just fine with only one.



You'll need:
  • pillow form - whatever size you want. Mine is 11"x15"
  • 2 pieces of anti-pill no-sew fleece (note: my fringe is 4" so whatever size pillow form you get you'll need to add 8 inches in length and width to look like mine. If you get a larger pillow form you might want longer fringe so plan accordingly. My fabric is 19"x23")
  • scissors, ruler
  • cutting mat and fabric rotary cutter, optional
  • felt (if you want to make letters for the front) that matches the fleece fabric.

Instructions:

Cut out and remove a 4 inch square from each corner, then make 4 inch cuts every inch, along all 4 sides. I like to cut thru both pieces of fabric at the same time so the cuts exactly line up, but you can do the pieces separately if you want - sometimes the double fabric is really thick and hard to cut thru at the same time. I lay a long tape measure or yardstick along the fabric for a guide to make the cuts every inch, or you can just wing it and guesstimate where an inch is - it does not need to be exact.  

If you are putting letters on the front, cut out the size and colors you want, and sew or glue them on the front fleece fabric. You can use a stencil or print off the letters the size you want and trace around them - or free hand it. I made big bubble letters in two sizes and laid them on top of each other for a layered letter, the bottom letter is 5.5" and the top one is 4.75". 

Lay the fabric front and back on top of each other right sides out, line up the fringe strips top and bottom and then tie them together to form the pillow case. Do three sides and then insert the pillow form, then finish the last side to encase the pillow form.

I also glued on some little shells because I can't leave anything alone, it must have more decoration haha. It looked fine without, but I couldn't help myself...


No comments:

Post a Comment