Friday, February 18, 2022

MSIH: Morning Glory Muffins

Made muffins the other day after cleaning out my baking supplies and finding a half empty bag of whole wheat flour - muffins seem like a good use hahahah. They seem fairly healthy chock full of carrots, apples, coconut, cranberries, and sunflower seeds - other than the oil hahaha. Gave them to my sis cuz she's usually hungry - didn't tell her what all is in them and she made a couple good guesses, here's her review:



My sister delivered me muffins today.  YAY ME!  So, I love muffins.  Not much you could do to it that I wouldn’t like.

That said, I asked my sister what kind these were before I tried them (so I could know what I was getting into) and she didn’t write back right away and patience isnt my thing so I went ahead...

 

Veggies. It seems like veggies.  I didn’t eat it for breakfast but seemed like a breakfast muffin.  (vs. a chocolate banana one that I would eat all day..) lol.

I LOVED this.  it made me feel better about my muffin choice.  Might not be healthy at all but I could at least pretend I am.

 

They had a nice moist consistency, didn’t taste like bran but had a definitely wheaty (is that a word?  Wheat-ish?) anyway.  Def wheat flavor.  Also think I’m tasting carrots maybe?  Almost felt like a carrot cake in a muffin form.  But yet back to the fact I could feel good about my choice at breakfast. (not like the guilt I would have if I ate carrot cake for breakfast). 

 

All in all – these were delish.  Love them.  Would be a great fast breakfast for the kid on the way out the door.

 

  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2  t. baking soda
  • 2 t. cinnamon
  • 1/2 t. g round ginger
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 cups peeled and grated carrots
  • 1 large tart apple, peeled, cored, and grated
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/3 cup sunflower seeds or wheat germ, optional
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 375'. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line it  with paper liners and spray the insides of the papers.
2. Cover the raisins with hot water, and set them aside to soak while you assemble the rest of the recipe. 
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, spices, and salt. Stir in the carrots,  apple, coconut,  nuts, and sunflower seeds or wheat germ.
4. In a separate bow, beat  together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and orange juice. Add to the flour mixture, and stir until evenly moistened. Drain the raisins and stir them in.
5. Divide the batter amount the wells of the  prepared pan.
6. Bake the muffins for 25-28 minutes, until they're nicely domed and a cake tester inserted in the center of one of the inner muffins comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes in their pan on a rack, then turn out of  pans to finish cooling. 

Yield: 12 muffins

This recipe is on the back of a bag of King Arthur flour I was trying to use up - it says it makes 12 so I doubled the amounts to make 24 and I'm not sure how they got 12...I made 24 plus had enough batter to also make an entire loaf of bread. Haven't heard of morning glory bread but I was tired of making muffins so scooped the rest of the batter into a greased loaf pan and it's great. I thought the muffins might be dry because it's 100% whole wheat flour but nope, I guess the oil and apples help keep it pretty moist. I followed the recipe other than I substituted dried cranberries for the raisins (raisins = blech), and omitted the nuts so Dave can eat them. 


2.18.21: kid mask leash

2.18.20: tip-sy tuesday: sewing machine needle

2.18.19: Cathy updates a fireplace

2.18.18: pastitsio

2.18.17: paint samples


No comments:

Post a Comment