Thursday, January 12, 2023

Coconut Pecan Filling or Frosting

I've shared this recipe a few times when making the many forms of German Chocolate desserts I've posted about in the past, when going thru old posts the other day I see there isn't a post solely dedicated to this terrific coconut pecan filling and/or frosting. 'Bout time it got its own post!
  • 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 4 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 package (7 oz) sweetened flaked coconut
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Place the evaporated milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks, and vanilla in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thickened and golden brown in color, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut and pecans. Cool the filling to room temperature before spreading, 20 minutes.

*I've used this recipe for years, I think it came from the Cake Mix Doctor. If I'm making this to use as a filling I don't add the coconut to all of the cooked milk mixture so the final product is a little thicker - it's easier to spread and fill. In that case I'll put the coconut and pecans in a big bowl and pour in as much of the cooked milk mixture as needed. 




click here to see how to make this pretty 2-layer German Chocolate cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment